Friday, April 26, 2013

Random Acts of Kindness Week #4--A Man at Barnes & Noble

 This week, a friend and I decided to visit a local Barnes and Noble to do something nice for a stranger. We talked about various things. Paying for an order before or after us. Buying someone's coffee in the coffee shop. Purchasing a beloved book and giving it to a stranger in the store. All the ideas were fun, but they didn't feel quite right in this instance.

    As we walked around, I remembered last April. My first big signing was only a year ago at that same Barnes & Noble. It's amazing what's happened since then. I've talked at dozens of schools and been to many signings anywhere from coffee shops, books stores, fairs, schools, restaurants and libraries.
    Here are some pictures from Barnes & Noble at my first big signing:




That signing is one of the best memories I have. The employees were so kind. They printed posters about my books and put them all over the store. At the signing, they brought drinks to Cade and me. One of the employees even went above and beyond, visiting with us, making us feel important as he bought our CD. He even let Cade and me play music inside the B & N store!

     After walking around for a while the other day, my friend and I stood in line. I joked with the cashier.  She hadn't been there last year.  A few members of their staff had changed; they even hired new managers.   
    While purchasing the gift card, I glanced at someone who sidled behind us in line.  I couldn't wait to give him the gift card.  Sure we could have left it with the cashier and had her give it to the guy, but for some reason I felt like giving it to him myself.
    After buying the gift card and receipt, my friend and I immediately turned to the man behind us. "This is for you," I said.  Then I caught his eyes fully and gasped. He was the kind employee who'd helped me at the signing last year. He's the one who let us play music in the store. He's the one who kept bringing us drinks before buying our CD! 
    "Why?" he asked, and I'm sure he didn't recognize me.
    "We're doing random acts of kindness, trying to spread some joy."
    Then we left. And I keep wondering about the odds of that man being in line behind us? Does he still work at Barnes & Noble? I'm still not sure if he recognized me, but I hope he knows how thankful I am for everything he did for Cade and me last year. Writing can be hard, sharing everything with the world, getting rejections, or negative feedback. But people like him--and you--have really inspired me to keep going through this writing journey.

    Isn't it strange that for the last two acts of kindness I've wanted to give something to strangers, but they've both ended up being people who've already blessed my life?  Here's the previous story if you'd like to read it: Flowers for a Stranger 

Maybe it just proves that what goes around does come around.... 


I've vowed to do a random act of kindness (and write about it) once a week until the end of May--when the R.A.K. Blogfest starts.    
Please check out the blogfest HERE.  
I'd love if you'd join up.     

P.S. Cade and I are giving away $50 for Mother's Day.  Feel free to take a second to enter HERE if you have time.  

14 comments:

  1. Opening the potential floodgates to Joy & Kindness. Maybe you get so much of it because you give so much of it. It is interesting how these people are connected to you. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is amazing. God is good.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're spreading GOOD karma--here's an example of bad, from one of my posts:

    When John (my son's father-in-law) died, my daughter-in-law immediately flew out from Connecticut to California be with her mother. My son & their 2 kids followed in a day or two. The plane reservations were obviously last minute & they couldn’t get 3 seats together. They were seated directly behind one another. Matt asked the man sitting next to Brian, who was 8, to change seats with him. He explained that Brian was very young & was taking this cross country flight to go his first funeral—his grandfather’s. The man refused. During the flight, Brian threw up on him. When we heard, we all congratulated him on his excellent aim.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What irony! No, it was a God-thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great story. I would love to come to one of your signings. I hope some book stores are able to stay open over the years so things like book signings can happen there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how God engineers these distinct moments of clarity into why we're really here. So lovely~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm I call rigged lol

    That is strange indeed, how two were ones that helped you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It doesn't get much better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it is awesome that the last two people were people who had touched your life in a positive. I think it was meant to be. :)(I remember when you had that signing. Wow- a lot has happened in the past year.)

    This was another great idea and I love to see the kindness spreading out there. You keep giving me new ideas (I did pass out a bouquet of flowers on Friday and it was hard to read their reaction, but they did say they love flowers). We can all use a little more kindness.
    ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am LOVING these random acts of kindness! Did you know that last Thursday was National Pay it Forward Day?? These acts are so wonderfully contagious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is all so thrilling just reading about it! Can imagine how you must be feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  12. very nice story! way to pay it forward! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a truly beautiful thing. That's what this story is. :)

    ReplyDelete